Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Let's Define Racism!

This is the argument I have heard which seems ill sorted to say the very least. We should not bandy the word racism around so freely. People are accused of it when it is not justified at all. You would think they were Nazis parading thru the streets! Hmm. Are we saying racists are to be identified by the wearing of Nazi regalia, goostepping and crying out Nazi slogans and Heil Hitler? Really?!

If only it were so easy to identify racists! Apart from anything else we would not have a problem with racism at all in that case since the number of people who go on such marches and demonstrations throughout the whole world  amounts to diddly squat. Problem solved -in fact there is no problem of racism to begin with. We can all sleep safely in our beds.

Er, no, sorry, a little thing called  Reality has to intrude at this point. How about this. An Italian neighbour is upset because the neighbour opposite made racist smear regarding him due to his swarthy complexion implying that he was a Traveller, formerly known as Gypsies lol. He was so distraught his wife had to go round to tell the chap to knock it off.

Roll forward a few months and that same chap is chatting to me -the abused Italian and the subject of immigration comes up. Feeling on very safe ground I say Brussels is evil, I'm against the EU but for open borders excluding terrorists and those with communicable diseases. Thinking he was going to heartily concur I was mortified when he said the following. "Oh those blacks coming over -that was a disaster for this country.". Gobsmacked. Speechless.

It gets worse. He was friendly with another neighbour but for some reason they fell out. This neighbour then informed my brother when they were in conversation that he hated all foreigners! All of that took place in the space of a 20 yards from my house gentle readers -and I live in a respectable area -not some flyblown council estate hell hole.

My brother told me to paraphrase: this chap in question is really decent but then when he said that I thought to myself ah, so that's who you  are. Interesting...

Yeah, Racism does not exist, move along now folks, nothing to see!  

No comments: