Friday, August 31, 2018

Why do people hate the Truth?

The poet TS Elliot said mankind cannot take much reality. But he was a catholic I think so he could talk! But the point is well made and definitely born out by my experience with people. I find it hard to get my head round the idea that people would find something beneficial in believing that 1 and 1 is 3 but the fact that many do is undeniable

I pride myself on wanting to get to the truth and assume that others do the same but tis not so. It is hard to communicate with people who want to confound truth and will defend their bizarre belief systems to the death.

But above all atheists should avoid any contact or discussion with believers! Except of course in a public debate where you do not expect to convince your interlocutor but maybe some of those present. I am rather niaeve on this point as beleiving in the power of reason I expect others to concede once a rational argument has been laid out before them. But reason is the very thing they are avoiding at all cost.

I even gave a  faith obsessed person Ayn Rand's Fountainhead thinking once they had read it they would abandon their nonsense! It was a learning experience as you get to see how people are wedded to their mindset and nothing will dislodge it.

No comments: