Saturday, August 25, 2018

Religion, the Last refuge of the Scoundrel?

For the sake of some obtuse folk who may be reading this I use the word religion generically to include all those who base their deeds and words on faith,mysticism regardless of whether they see the inside of a church or mosque or not. The outer form of their belief system, where they congregate and the rituals they perform or don't perform is totally irrelevant to their core beliefs. I mean the whole corrupt lot of them!

That clarified I ask the question, is religion the last refuge of the scoundrel? I think the affirmative for many reasons. Those without much in life cling to religion for the last scrap of dignity left to them. Their lives may be a complete mess -by their own actions or innactions but at least they can comfort themselves with knowing they have a close connection with the one who organized the cosmos. What a self esteem booster for the losers of the world. The reflected glory, the reassurance that they will be saved from the self made crap of their existence and get unearned love, non judgmental love -salvation from their self made nothingness and the moral vacuum where a life should have been.

The booby prize for all such moral derelicts is religion and its false blandishments, its faux profundities, its pious cant -they suck it up as if manna from heaven -manure more like it.

Failure dogs their every step but  Praise the Lord! God bless you! See how sanctified I am. Does my shit smell -I don't think so! I can con, cheat, steal depradate through life and rationalize it all away. I couldn't help it! Sin made a home in me! Let me commune with my creator.

This life is nothing. Others may achieve but all that will serve them nought. My treasure is in heaven. Bollox is it - sorry but really....!

No comments: